Coastal Vulnerability Model - getting started

A question, what values might be appropriate on an urban scale analysis (Genoa metropolitan city area)?
I used the default values of the model (on the guideline), but wanted to understand if for small scales other more specific parameters are needed.
Thanks

Hi @Andrea96 , thanks for posting to the forum.

It would help if you could add some more detail to your question. Which default values are you thinking of? There is some guidance in the User’s Guide about choosing values for parameters such as model_resolution, max fetch distance, and others.

It’s also worth noting that the Wind & Wave data represented in the Wave Watch 3 dataset does not really cover the Mediterranean Sea. The model will still use the WW3 values from the points nearest to your area of interest (probably from the Atlantic Ocean or North Sea), but those wind and wave values may not be appropriate. We should do a better job of warning users about this.

Please let us know if you have specific questions,

1 Like

Actually, I believe the model will raise an error if the AOI is too far away from the coverage of the WaveWatch 3 dataset. I expect that would be the case for Genoa. Did you experience an error like:

“ValueError: No WaveWatchIII points were found near the area of interest. Is the area of interest far outside the coverage of …?”

Hi Dave,
thanks for the reply, I will start running the model from January with my professor and thesis co-workers.
For the moment I’m just downloading and researching the data to be processed with QGIS, and then run it on Invest.
The goal is to evaluate the erosion of the coast of the Gulf of Genoa in the last 30 years, and apply possible solutions and natural policies to the past data, and then find a future solution.

The data I am looking for are as follows:

Vector area of interest
Model resolution (value)
Vector Landmass
Maximum Fetch Distance
Digital elevation model (DEM) raster
Raster bathymetry
Wave and wind exposure vector
Human population raster
Population search radius
Average raster elevation
Vector of continental shelf contour lines
Habitat table
Geomorphology vector
Geomorphological fill vector
Vector of sea-level rise

and for the data listed in your opinion what values might be appropriate on an urban scale analysis (Genoa metropolitan city area), to understand if for small scales suggest other more specific parameters, in particular, I refer to these data:

Model resolution (value)
Maximum Fetch Distance
Population search radius
The radius of average elevation

Thank you very much

Hi @Andrea96 , my advice is to try running the model as early as possible with whatever data is readily available. Especially because of the issue I mentioned earlier:

I believe the model will raise an error if the AOI is too far away from the coverage of the WaveWatch 3 dataset. I expect that would be the case for Genoa.

The User Guide includes suggestions about where to find some of these data (DEM, Bathymetry, Habitat layers) and how to create others (Area of Interest). Many of the other datasets are optional inputs so I would recommend starting without them.
http://releases.naturalcapitalproject.org/invest-userguide/latest/coastal_vulnerability.html#

Model resolution (value)
Maximum Fetch Distance
Population search radius
The radius of average elevation

For all of these parameters, it is a good idea to try out some values and explore the results, modify them and explore again. The modeling process always involves many iterations, so do not worry about getting things perfect before you start. Please follow up if you have specific questions after you have tried some things out.

Best,
Dave

2 Likes

Perfect, thank you very much for the suggestions, if I have any problems I will not hesitate to contact you, very nice

Andrea

Hey @Andrea96
I’m currently working on the same topic as you but in another part of the Ligurian Sea. Could I ask you for some information about the wind and wave inputs you used with the Gulf of Genoa?
Thank you!

Hi @Andrea96 and @annaporcile,
I’m working on the Emilia-Romagna coastline in Italy.
I would be very eager to know if you found a solution.
Did you create your own Wave Watch shapefile?
Thanks!

Hi!

I am also conducting an application for Italy.
I would be really interested to know which source/dataset you used for the wave and wind statistics input for the Mediterranean/Adriatic sea.
What I found until now appears not to be free.

Any help is really appreciated.
Thank you in advance!