Missing blending in urban cooling

Hi - i’m expecting this to be simple for experienced users…

My urban cooling scenarios are new small forest within cities. Invest runs without errors against my imagined land use layers, but in the output i never get any kind of edge effect due to air blending. I have tried very low air blend distance (10m) and larger forests (>2ha). I expected both of these to give some interesting effects as visualised in the topic ‘Urban Cooling Model - Blending distance & cooling range & AOI’

All I ever see is a hard edge to my resulting raster with a cooling effect within the forest and nothing outside. I am SURE I am doing something daft. please help.

David
Screenshot (54)

1 Like

so i think i have answered my own question. I haven’t set the symbology in arc properly to pick out the varations at the edges.
Screenshot (55)

any advice on that, or any other comments are very welcome.

2 Likes

Hi @southplainfield ,

Thanks for your question about the InVEST Urban Cooling model. I’m sorry you’re having trouble with the results.

In order for us to help diagnose any issues, please upload your log file (.txt) to this post. The file should have been produced by InVEST and reside in the same directory as the other results. It includes all of the parameters, paths to your data inputs, information about the run, and any errors.

My first question would be, have you tried entering greater air blending distances? 10m sounds too low to affect your results, especially if the resolution of your LULC map is >10m. As stated in the User Guide, the model resamples the resolution of all results to match that of the input LULC map. Therefore, to see the impacts of blending (edge effects), you would have to set the air blending distance to a greater value than the resolution of your LULC map.

I hope this helps,
Jesse

Default GIS symbologies can’t be trusted! :face_with_monocle:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.