Pollination relative abundance weights

Dear community

On line 475 of the pollination python code it is described that relative abundance of a particular species is based on the sum of all relative abundances (e.g. all species).

• ‘relative_abundance’: a weight indicating the relative
    abundance of the particular species with respect to the
    sum of all relative abundance weights in the table.

This weight means, that as more species you have, the contribution of one species to pollination service decreases. This is somehow comprehensible, as InVEST just considers the species composition (transformation to relative abundances even if you feed in absolute values) and not abundanaces. However it is often not the reality.

I am thinking about not considering this weight. Meaning just leaving the absolute value for each particular species.

Reason

• My raw values in the relative abundance column of the guild table are probability of occurrence (0-100%) for present and future climate.
  • In an example of species 1 and 2 with 50% and 50% (presence) and 20% and 20% (future) probability, there will be no climate signal using the present InVEST model and the climate signal is masked.
  • Another possibility is to feed in the difference, meaning sp 1 and 2 here 30%.

What do you think about my refllection?
Do you have any other suggestion?

Kind regards
Sibylle

@elonsdorf
@jdouglass
@swolny

Dear Elon, do you think that my reflection is correct?

@lons0011

Kind regards
Sibylle