Results of SWY model

Dear all, I would like to know, if that is ok, if BSum and Lsum have the same results, and what does that finally mean? Furthermore, what seems to be strange to me, that in the Quickflow results, there are also the ETo results visible in the background? And how does come and what does that mean?
Cheers
Ingrid

Hi @IHartmann -

I would think that Bsum and Lsum are most likely to have the same value for pixels that are close to a stream. The main difference between them is that Bsum accounts for evapotranspiration between the pixel and the stream, so is the amount of water that actually makes it to the stream, it isn’t taken up by vegetation between the pixel and the stream. I suppose that it could also happen if the land cover between the pixel and the stream is not evapotranspiring.

Theoretically, Quickflow results should not reflect the ETo raster patterns, since it is only based on precipitation, rain events and curve number, not ETo. It is, however, likely to reflect the precipitation raster patterns. Can you show us an example?

~ Stacie

1 Like

Dear Stacie,
many thanks. I am attaching the output file. What I can say is, that the area is definitely exposed to evapotranspiration. Maybe it could be, that I am not using the right dimension for the ETo file? What should it be? Or is it mandatory to have subcatchment files?
Cheers
INgrid
quickflow Baringo.tif

and maybe you could send me a proper quickflow file as an example?
Cheers again
Ingrid

In reality, evapotranspiration may affect quickflow, but in this simplified model it does not. ETo does affect the baseflow output.

ETo input must be given by a raster, with an ETo value for each pixel. Usually this is not based on subcatchments, but I suppose if you have ETo data for each subcatchment that you really want to use, that’s fine, and you’d probably see their pattern reflected in the L and Baseflow results.

It’s hard to say what a “proper” quickflow layer looks like, since it’s so dependent on the precipitation and land cover/curve number maps that go into it. In general, I’d say that the land cover map is likely to be seen in the quickflow results most prominently.

Here’s an example from one of our analyses that shows quickflow for January, compared with curve number (based on land use/land cover), precipitation for January and ETo for January. Darker colors = higher values (I was too lazy to make legends). Curve number is the easiest to see reflected in the quickflow map.

~ Stacie

Dear Stacie, many thanks!
The problem is, that my rasters are very big due to lack of data. Or do you have an advice how to reduce the raster size? Cheers. Ingrid

Yes, I can see in your quickflow map that the precipitation data seems to be very coarse. The only thing I can recommend is trying a different data source that has precip/ET at a finer resolution.

~ Stacie

Dear Stacie, and now I have a question on the SDR model: Why do I not have any sediment transport in my model, which does not even reach the lakes, where a lot is observed in reality. (not that I would have exact data). What could I do to increase the sediment transport? I think it should have to do with the Borselli parameters?
Cheers again
Ingrid

Sorry, now it is working. Do not know, exactly why, but it does.!. Cheers. Ingrid

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.