Service.built - UFRM model

Hello,

I’m trying to understand the mean of the output layer of the model Urban flood risk mitigation.
Particularly, I would like to deepen what does it means “Service.built”.

What I understood is that for each watershed this indicator represents the summation of the R_m3 (runoff retention value) of all pixels included in the watershed multiply for the monetary value related to the potential damage to infrastructures always included in the same watershed. So, this means that the higher is this indicator and better will be the Service of runoff retention related to the “building protection” in a certain watershed.

Please, can you confirm that my interpretation is correct or eventually explain better the significance of this indicator?

Thank you.

Best regards,
Carlotta Quagliolo

Hi @Charlotte,

Your understanding sounds correct to me! The values in the damage loss table (units: dollars per square meter of building footprint) are applied to the infrastructure vector and summed to get Affected.Build, the total potential dollars of damage loss for the watershed. Then we multiply Affected.Build by the sum of R_m3 across the watershed: Service.built = Affected.Build x sum(R_m3)

So, as I understand it, the Service.built indicator is in units $ * m3. I’m guessing this is because it’s difficult to say exactly how much damage is caused per cubic meter of runoff. So I would use this as a relative value, not an exact measure of savings.

Also keep in mind, the user’s guide says, “Currently, a simple approach to value flood risk retention is implemented, valuing flood risk as the avoided damage for built infrastructure. Alternative approaches (e.g. related to mortality, morbidity, or economic disruption) could be implemented.”

1 Like