Wavewatch III data generation: Wave power and Data information

Hi everyone, I am trying to create local data for an area in the Mediterranean Sea. I have two doubts that I hope you can resolve:

1. What physical considerations does WWIII use to calculate the wave power (and related WavP_X)?
  2. In the InVEST sample data after the first 16x5 data packets (REI_VX, REI_PCTX, WavP_X, WavPPCTX, V10PCT_X), there are still the following 11 columns.

V_10YR, H_10PCT, T_10PCT, H_25PCT, T_25PCT, H_MAX, T_MAX, H_10YR, He, Hmod, Tmod

In the InVEST user guide, I could not find any information about this. Could you tell me what they indicate and if they are helpful for the model to work?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Hi @annaporcile ,

In the InVEST sample data after the first 16x5 data packets (REI_VX, REI_PCTX, WavP_X, WavPPCTX, V10PCT_X), there are still the following 11 columns.

Only the variables described in the User Guide are required for the model to run. Those other 11 columns are not used by the model.

What physical considerations does WWIII use to calculate the wave power (and related WavP_X)?

I’m not completely certain. I think the WWIII model is based on observed wind and wave measurements at buoys. The wave power that the invest model calculates at each shore point is defined by equation 20 in the User Guide. https://storage.googleapis.com/releases.naturalcapitalproject.org/invest-userguide/latest/coastal_vulnerability.html#wave-exposure

1 Like

Thanks @dave. Now everything is clear to me!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.