About crop production model - LULC input

hi all~i am new to invest model.I would like to know if the land cover map (classified as woodland, grassland, arable land, construction land, non-construction land, etc.) I have now can be used for crop production model?
Look forward to your reply
dear Tom

Hi @misitecheng ,

You can use your own land cover raster as input into the Crop Production model, but you do need to make sure that you’ve downloaded the necessary model data and have configured your land cover to crop table accordingly. Please see the Data Needs of the Users Guide section for more details:

https://storage.googleapis.com/releases.naturalcapitalproject.org/invest-userguide/latest/crop_production.html#data-needs

Let us know if you still have questions after reading through it and trying the model.

Doug

HI Doug,thank you for your reply. I think I have downloaded the downloaded the data required for the model, but I don’t know how to make “the land cover to crop table”.For example, in my land cover map, how do I know what type of crop it corresponds to?
Tom

Hi @misitecheng ,

If you downloaded and installed InVEST with the sample data you should have a folder path (Windows):

"C:\InVEST_3.9.0_x64\sample_data\CropProduction"

In that folder will be a model_data and sample_user_data folder. These will be helpful for setting up your data inputs.

Let’s say you had a Land Cover map with values 1, 5, 10, 20. Let’s say that:

1 = wheat
10 = barley
20 = soybean

Your landcover_to_crop_table.csv would look like:

crop_name,lucode
wheat,1
barley,10
soybean,20

For the regression model there are 10 crops modeled:

barley, maize, oilpalm, potato, rice, soybean, sugarbeet, sugarcane, sunflower, and wheat.

For the percentile model there are around 174, and those crop names can be found in the csv file:

“C:\InVEST_3.9.0_x64\sample_data\CropProduction\model_data\crop_nutrient.csv”

As for knowing what crop your LULC values correspond to that depends on where your LULC values came from. If it’s from an online source there usually is metadata provided that lists what the values correspond to. How was your LULC generated or where did you get acquire it from?

Doug

Hi Tom, Did you build the table, could you please let me know the steps?

Anitha