Calibrate SDR model

Hello!, I have a question, how I could enter field sediment data to calibrate in the sdr model?

1 Like

Hi @Fermin -

The models do not provide a way to enter field data, calibration is done manually outside of the model. What kind of field data do you have? Usually, we have stream gauge data over a long period of time (preferably 10+ years, since SDR is an annual average model.) So we compare the annual average gauge data for sediment load with the sediment export results of SDR. To do this, we generate the watershed that drains to the stream gauge location, and sum the sed_export.tif to that point. If you are already using this watershed as an SDR input, then the model will sum sed_export for you.

Here’s a paper where one of our hydrologists discusses calibration with the SDR model in a case study, which might be helpful:

Hamel, P., Chaplin-Kramer, R., Sim, S., Mueller, C. 2015. A new approach to modeling the sediment retention service (InVEST 3.0): Case study of the Cape Fear catchment, North Carolina, USA. Science of the Total Environment 524–525 (2015) 166–177.

~ Stacie

2 Likes

Hi @swolny :
I need your help on calibration and validation process if you have any video which show brief explanation on SDR how to calibrate and validate for which i have a 18 years data please help me.
Thank you for your support
if it is possible contact me by fissehabelete12@gmail.com

Hi @Fishbel -

We do not have a video about calibration. In this thread, I provided an outline of the general process that we use, and a paper that also talks about calibration and sensitivity. There is also a brief (perhaps too brief) outline in the User Guide. If you have made use of these resources, and have more specific questions, let us know. If you have 18 years of observed sediment data which doesn’t have any large gaps, and preferably falls within the same time frame as your land use map, you should be able to use it.

~ Stacie

3 Likes