Coastal Vulnerability model stuck at wind exposure


I am running the coastal vulnerability model (version 3.8.4) and can’t get past the wind exposure. I started the model of Friday and it only got to wind exposure 12%. I ran the model and it worked at 250 resolution, but then realized I needed to change my area of interest. Since changing the AOI it has been getting stuck. I also tried at 1000 model resolution and it did the same thing.

I have attached the Log, the AOI, and shoreline. Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks for your help.

-Sage (992.6 KB) NY_AOI_minus10m (2).zip (33.6 KB) InVEST-Coastal-Vulnerability-log-2020-07-17–09_17_00.txt (64.4 KB)

Hi @sriddick,

I’m sorry you’re experiencing this issue! Could you link to the rest of your inputs as well? I’d like to try reproducing the error in order to find a fix. If your inputs are too large to attach here, feel free to link to a google drive, dropbox or other filesharing service here in the thread or else email them to me directly:


Hi James,

Thanks for getting back to me. Here are the inputs:

Let me know if that link doesn’t work.


Great, thanks! I’ll take a look.

In the meantime, @dave had some great suggestions over at Coastal Vulnerability Run time error , which looks like it might have been for the same area. Did his suggestions change anything in the runtime?

That was my post for another study area, which hasn’t worked out yet.

I never received an error message for this data set, it keeps running just very very slow and hasn’t gone anywhere in hours.

When you say that the model “hasn’t gone anywhere in hours”, do you mean that the application has stopped responding? Or is it just that progress has been very, very slow as you mentioned? And could you confirm that the model hasn’t crashed or anything like that?

It’s being very slow and has not crashed. In 24 hours it had gone from 11% to 12% during the wind exposure.

With my other post it had crashed.

I can confirm that the slowdown happens on my computer as well with your inputs. We’re looking into a solution for this. In the meantime, you might find that the model runs faster with some of these adjustments:

  • an increased shore point resolution,
  • using a coarser/simpler landmass layer
  • use your AOI to clip out as much of the landmass layer as possible in order to reduce the number of line segments in the landmass vector

Hope to have more soon!

Another very important factor is the maximum_fetch_distance. The longer it is the more parts of the landmass will be intersecting the fetch rays and it will take a longer time to find the open water (actual fetch distance) around each shore point.

1 Like