Coastal Vulnerability Run time error

Hi,

I am running the coastal vulnerability model (version 3.8.4) and am getting an error when the model gets to around wind exposure 95%. The error is “RuntimeError encountered: can’t start new thread.”

I’ve run the model before for this study area and am running it again with minor adjustments to the input data.

I’ve attached the Log. Let me know if you need anything else.

Thank you!

InVEST-Coastal-Vulnerability-log-2020-07-09–09_47_28.txt (90.4 KB)

Hi there, thanks for reporting this error. I think we’ll need to get your input data in order to reproduce this and figure out why it crashed. Would you mind packaging up your data and sharing a link with me? Either in this thread or in a private message?

Thank you,

Hi Dave,

Thanks for checking it out.

Here’s the link:https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1h80DW4piCsMp7VgvBpujwIs1CGg2pCKJ?usp=sharing

Let me know if that doesn’t work.

Hi @sriddick, thanks for sharing your data. I looked into this a little bit and it seems likely that your computer is running out of memory during that wind calculation. We should make some changes to the algorithm so that never happens, but in the meantime you could try a few things to avoid the problem:

• choose a larger model resolution in order to have fewer shore points
  • Use the AOI to exclude parts of the landmass layer, in order to have fewer shore points
  • simplify the geometry of the landmass layer in order to have fewer shore points and reduce the complexity of the fetch distance calculations.

On that last point, there are some very small slivers in the landmass polygon that you may or may not really want to represent shoreline, but they are getting some shore points. This is from the southeast part of your AOI.

1 Like