Coastal Vulnerability Model & Urban Flood Risk Mitigation - Data input needs

Hi there!

I am a Msc student working on my thesis about the assessment of urban ecosystem services in the netherlands.

Considering the data needs for the Coastal Vulnerability Model, I do have 2 questions that are not really clear to me yet.

1. For the Continental Shelf Contour, the documentation explicitly states that the intersection of the AOI and any continental shelf contour must be within 1500 km of the coastline of the area of interest.
    As for the Netherlands, the nearest continental shelf is around 550 km away. Does that mean that I have to artificially drag out my AOI into the sea until it intersects with the continental shelf?
    Otherwise, it states that locally-important bathymetry data could be used instead, but I have a bit of a trouble finding out what would be worthy to the model, and what would not.
    In any case, I will of course just try around, but I was wondering if the continental shelf contour intersection is really meant (and still relevant) to be that far away from my intended AOI.

2. I am a bit at a loss concerning the sea level rise vector. Even with the documentation, it is not really clear to me what exactly in expected as an input here. I would love to have a look at an example file, yet the sample path given in the documentation is not findable in the Individual sample data set for the coastal vulnerability model.

Considering the data needs for the Urban Flood Risk Mitigation model, I do have 1 question left.
I think this question goes out more so to experienced users/modelers than to the developers.

1. Instead of providing a watershed file, a sewershed file could also be provided. I do have created a watershed file for the city of interest to determine the flows with the help of an accurate height map, yet am wondering how a sewershed file could be more accurate for the city? I have a map available that shows all the pipes, intersections and main dumping points for water, yet has no height information available. Is there any point in trying to combine both maps in terms of accuracy for the model? As far as I understand the working of the model I guess not, but I am wondering if anyone maybe did something similar in terms of combining such maps in order to create! a more accurate flow situation (maybe with an external tool?)

Map depicting sewer pipes and dumping points (blue)
riol

Thank you so much already!

Milan

I can speak to the Coastal Vulnerability questions.

1. The shelf contour input does not need to intersect the AOI, it just needs to be within 1500 km of coastline that is within the AOI. So it sounds like you could use the global continental shelf layer for the Netherlands. As an alternative to the continental shelf, you can draw your own depth contour line. This input controls the surge exposure scores, where greater extents of shallow water off a coastline tend to increase risk of surge. So the contour (whether it is a bathymetry contour or continental shelf contour) is meant to represent the outer edge of that shallow water area.

2. The seal level rise inpt should be a point dataset, where some column in the attribute table indicates the rate or amount of sea level rise at that point. There are no strict requirements for what the metric in the table needs to be. The values are interpolated to the shore points, and then the interpolated values are binned into exposure scores from 1-5, in the same process used for all the other continuous variables.

Let me know if you have follow-up questions.

If no one chimes in on your UFRM questions, I would recommend posting them in a new topic.

Thank you for your answers!

1. Allright, seems like I missunderstood the condition then, the provided file might be sufficient then indeed.

Ah got it! Thank your for explaining the need for the depth contour line again, I probably missed the point of it in the documentation.
Now I know what I need to look out for if I indeed shall substitute the global continental shelf file.

1. Hmm, so it is indeed quite open what to input hereā€¦ I was indeed not too sure what to make out of table 4.1 in the documentation, but this cleared things up. I will try some different metrics out and will observe the effects it will have.

Thank you so far, if I run into any problems with this, I will comment again!

Hi @Milkiman,

Perhaps @RafaSchmitt or @Perrine could be of assistance with the Urban Flood Risk Mitigation question you posted above?

Thanks for posting!

Doug