Selecting appropriate projection and fetch distance for Myanmar

Hello,

I am trying to run the coastal vulnerability model for Myanmar, and have gotten it to work but am not completely confident in my input parameters.

I see the model has been used in Myanmar previously (see this study Assessing ecosystem service provision under climate change to support conservation and development planning in Myanmar), but the supplementary material doesnt detail the parameters I am interested in:

• most appropriate projection (as Myanmar covers two UTM zones)
  • Fetch distance (currently using 60,000 based on a global analysis, but I have struggled to find appropriate values from the literature)

As the above study involved the natural capital project, I was wondering if there are any more details on the parameters used to produce the analysis?

Any help much appreciated!

Hi @MegC -

I’m not sure if I used the most appropriate projection (there may be an official one that’s used nationally now), but I used EPSG 32647 - WGS 84, UTM zone 47N for that analysis.

And the fetch distance was 12,000, as the User Guide used to suggest that as a reasonable default value. Since that value is no longer listed in the User Guide, I wonder if @dave or any other CV science people know why, or can provide additional guidance. When talking with people who have used this model more than I, they will adjust this value based on knowledge of how local landforms affect waves. For example, if there is a large island 20km offshore, and it is known that it reduces wave energy at the coast, then you might set a fetch distance of at least 20km. Of course, this is harder at a large national level.

I’m curious about the CV work you’re doing in Myanmar - would you care to elaborate?

~ Stacie

1 Like