The NatCap marine helper tools

Hello, I am taking the "StanfordOnline: SOEEES-XNCP-101 course
An Introduction to the Natural Capital Approach “on the edX platform. In module 3 they teach us how to work with the” the NatCap marine helper tools “tool, within this tool I try to run” Habitat Area Summaries "using ArcGis, following the procedure that They indicate in the tutorial but I get an error window with the following message, I hope you can help me to correct the problem or find an alternative way to perform the pre-processing Thank you!

*Executing: HabitatAreaSummaries “C: \ Users \ Familia Jara \ Downloads \ Optional Assessment Belize \ WORKSHOP_FISH” CUR “C: \ Users \ Familia Jara \ Downloads \ Optional Assessment Belize \ Assessment_Mod3_Belize \ bz_coastalPlanRegions_9.shp” NAME "C: \ Users \ Familia Jara \ Downloads \ Optional Assessment Belize \ Assessment_Mod3_Belize \ hra \ cur \ h2_mangrove_Risk.shp “” C: \ Users \ Family Jara \ Downloads \ Optional Assessment Belize \ Assessment_Mod3_Belize \ hra \ cur \ h1_corals_Risk.shp “” C: \ Users \ Family Jara \ Downloads \ Optional Assessment Belize \ Assessment_Mod3_Belize \ hra \ cur \ h3_seagrass_Risk.shp "
*Start Time: Tue Jun 09 13:10:25 2020
*Running script HabitatAreaSummaries …

*Checking and preparing the inputs …

*Calculating FUNCTIONAL AREA of habitat within each ANALYSIS grid or planning region …
*Failed script HabitatAreaSummaries …

*Traceback (most recent call last):

• File “C: \ Users \ Family Jara \ Downloads \ Optional Assessment Belize \ NatCap_marineHelperTools \ python \ HabitatAreaSummaries.py”, line 145, in
  • gp.Union_analysis (UnionMangroveExpr, unionMangroveZones)
    *RuntimeError: Object: Error in executing tool

*Failed to execute (HabitatAreaSummaries).
*Failed at Tue Jun 09 13:10:29 2020 (Elapsed Time: 4.32 seconds)

Hello @eJara -

It’s great to hear that you’re taking the NCP-101 course and working through the hands-on exercises. Also thank you for the detailed description of the problem you’re seeing.

The version of the edX course that is currently available is very old, and I suspect that the reason this helper tool doesn’t work is because it was created for an equally old version of ArcGIS. These scripts are not being updated to support newer versions of ArcGIS, and unfortunately pretty much every new version of Arc breaks existing geoprocessing scripts.

We are very near completing a brand new version of the course, which will also have a good (if different) exercise in the marine environment that is not dependent on Arc. I’m sorry to say that we won’t be able to help fix the error you’re currently seeing, but if you’re looking for more exposure to these types of tools and exercises, I can recommend keeping an eye out for the new version, which we’re hoping will be released some time this summer.

~ Stacie

1 Like

Thank you very much @swolny for the prompt response, I will be very attentive to the new version of the course. I congratulate and thank the entire team at The Natcap for the excellent work they do and for all the support they provide us.
Before I say goodbye, I want to continue learning more about data preprocessing and model execution, especially about the carbon storage edge effect model, the user guide has been very helpful to me, and would now be very helpful to me. Any advice on how to improve the execution of these models.
Again, very grateful for the support.

I’m glad to hear that the User Guide has been helpful. If there’s anything in there that’s confusing or needs clarification, please let us know.

And I have not used the Carbon Storage Edge Effect model, but if you have specific questions about the data inputs or outputs of the model, and the User Guide does not answer them, feel free to post here and someone here will try to help.

~ Stacie

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.