Urban Cooling Model Dataset scaling

Hi Everyone,

I have concerns about scaling issues and how they may affect model results. The resolution of the Global Potential Evapotranspiration database is 30 arc seconds, or roughly 1 km. The spatial resolution of the LULC is 30m. I am trying to estimate the cooling impact of blue/green areas that of course have a scale smaller that this. Can someone provide a brief explanation on how these scaling issues are dealt with?

I have read on the User Guide that rasters have the same resolution as the LULC input (all other raster inputs are resampled to the same resolution). Since this was a comment I received from one of the editors of my manuscript I want to be super sure!!

Thank you so much.
Laura

1 Like

Hi @laura78,

Yes, InVEST’s Urban Cooling model resamples all the raster inputs to match the resolution of the LULC map.

Does that answer your question, or were you looking for some deeper explanation?

-Jesse

1 Like

Yes…Thank you so much Jesse!
It was a comment a got from a reviewer and I wanted to be sure.
Best,
Laura

2 Likes

Hey @laura78 ,

I’ll just follow up with saying that in the intermediate folder, ref_eto.tif will be that resampled input. So if you wanted to pull it up in QGIS or ArcGIS, you could make sure it’s resampling as you’d expect.

Cheers,
Doug

1 Like

To piggyback on this discussion, have the urban InVEST urban ES models been sensitivity tested yet in terms of the influence of spatial resolution on results? In other urban ES applications, using pre-urban InVEST models (https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs10980-015-0337-7) and other approaches (Piloting urban ecosystem accounting for the United States - ScienceDirect) have found the models quite sensitive to spatial resolution, since of course urban environments are so spatially heterogeneous.