Urban Flood Risk Mitigation - Error

Dear all,
when running the Urban Flood Risk Mitigation I got an error message in the log.txt while trying to calculate the damage to infrastructure. The model calculates the runoff but the problem results for the “flood_risk_service.shp”. Indeed the attribute table of that shape doesn’t contain any field and this is strange.
Please, find in the attached document the log.txt which help to understand this issue.
Can you help me to solve thata problem?
InVEST-UrbanFloodRiskMitigation-log-2020-11-02–15_54_37.txt (21.1 KB)
Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,
Carlotta

Hi @Charlotte,

Thanks for sharing your log file! Looking at the warning A geometry of type MULTIPOLYGON is inserted into layer of geometry type POLYGON, for layers Com_Genova and Infrastructure, it’s very possible that this is causing a problem for InVEST. It is expecting that these layers will only contain one polygon shape, but apparently it has multiple polygons. You can try looking at these inputs in GIS software and split the multipolygon into separate shapes.
If that doesn’t help, feel free to send me your data so I can take a look at it!

Hello Emily,

thank you for your answer.
I tried to run the model without “Infrastructures” layer and it work correctly without errors, even if the Watershed is multipolygon.
So, I don’t know how to treat the shape on built footprint. I can tell you that this layers has one field “Type” which represents a number correpsonding to built’s category (as residential, industrial, etc.); and 4 row which are each of these a polygon related to each category.
How can I modify this layer in order to run the model correclty?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Carlotta

Hi @Charlotte,

If you have only 4 rows, one for each “Type”, then I’m guessing that the shape for one row consists of multiple polygons (e.g. multiple separate residential building footprints). So its type would be Multipolygon. It seems that your layer has some attribute labeling it as type Polygon. You can try to convert the layer type from Polygon to Multipolygon in your GIS software.
I hope that helps, and if not, I would need to take a look at your data in order to debug this further.

Hello @esoth,

Fortunately, I solved the problem related to multipolygon of “Infrastructures” layer and the model run succesfully. However, when I open the “flood risk service” layer in a GIS environment it appears but I’m not able to open the attribute table which results empty while showing the following message:
‘Could not load data from the data source. If you can correct the problem, press the refresh button to reload data. Possible problems can include bad network connection, invalid field, etc. A column was specified that does not exist. A column was specified that does not exist’.

I can attach the log.txt there, but I don’t understand the reason why the problem appears when I include in the model the “Infrastructures” layer.
Sorry for the long message, this is one of the first time that I work with these models so that is quite new for me.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Carlotta

InVEST-UrbanFloodRiskMitigation-log-2020-11-05–20_44_15.txt (19.1 KB)

Hi @Charlotte,

I’m glad you were able to solve the multipolygon problem! Unfortunately there’s nothing in that log file that indicates what’s going wrong. I would really need to see your dataa in order to debug it. You can share it in a Google drive link here, or email it to me privately: esoth @ stanford.edu

Hi, @esoth and all the software developers,

I tried to modify the data input to solve the problem regarding the issue emerged 14 days ago (above). I mean “When I open the “flood risk service” layer in a GIS environment it appears, but I’m not able to open the attribute table which results empty while showing the following message:
‘Could not load data from the data source. If you can correct the problem, press the refresh button to reload data. Possible problems can include bad network connection, invalid field, etc. A column was specified that does not exist. A column was specified that does not exist.”
The layer could be open in GIS, and the .dbf of the shapefile could be opened in excel files, so this means that the model writes the information. The strange thing is that there is not the field FID when I open the .dbf file in excel.

Therefore, I worked with different attempts and I understood that this issue emerges only when I include the data on Infrastructure in the model because when I run the model without this layer on built information, the problem doesn’t exist. I mean that I can open the attribute table of the shapefile “flood risk service”.

Please, let me know if it is a problem of the software or someone already have work with this model, including infrastructures data with successful results.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,
Carlotta Quagliolo

Hi @Charlotte,

Thanks for posting back with an update. I’ll try to reproduce this on the sample data we provide. Would you be willing to share your data as well so we an reproduce it on our end? If so, feel free to zip the data inputs and share via Google Drive, Dropbox, or another cloud sharing utility. You can post that sharing link here or email it to me at ddenu@stanford.edu.

Thanks!

Doug

Thank you @dcdenu4!

I sent to you the invitation for the Drive where I uploaded all my data in INPUT folder.

Let me know.

Best regards,
Carlotta

1 Like

Hi @Charlotte,

I just sent you some files via email. I understand that @esoth tried the same approach and you had some trouble opening them. Let’s see how this time goes? Also, I am linking to a development version of the upcoming InVEST 3.9 release. I would suggest that you download this version of InVEST and run the Urban Flood Risk model with the fixed infrastructure shapefile I sent. That should work successfully as it did on my end.

https://storage.googleapis.com/releases.naturalcapitalproject.org/invest/3.8.9.post885%2Bg4cda085b/InVEST_3.8.9.post885%2Bg4cda085b_x64_Setup.exe

Best,

Doug

Some of this thread was taken over to email so I’ll recap here. Urban Flood Risk outputs a vector that can include fields aff.bld and serv.blt. The “dot” in these field names causes ArcGIS to fail when trying to load the attribute table. It works fine with QGIS. Release 3.9 will change these field names to use underscores instead of “dot”.

Between this and the infrastructure shapefile having invalid geometries I think this thread has been wrapped up.

Doug

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.