Coastal Vulnerability model hangs with excessive gdal warnings

Hi @Nomsy , thanks for sharing your data again. I noticed a few things:

1. These vectors are huge & complex; they have 2.7 million polygons each. Many of them are overlapping each other, and many have invalid topologies (the warning messages from the invest log).
  2. The Mangrove & Herbaceous layers appear to be identical to each other
  3. The layers appear to have been converted from raster to vector. I can tell because they have a “gridcode” field in the attribute table which probably represents the value of the pixel from the original raster from that location. There are many different values in this gridcode column which probably means the polygons in these layers represent many more landcover types than just “mangrove” or “herbaceous”. To use them in the coastal vulnerability model, you would want to filter & export a layer that contains only the polygons representing a single habitat type, for each habitat you want to include.

I strongly recommend downloading a raster LULC layer from ESA and using that instead. You will need to do some reclassifying to create one individual raster for each habitat. For example, if you want a mangrove layer, reclassify all the LULC codes representing other landcover types to 0 or a Nodata value.

There are a variety of options for downloading ESA data: DATA | WORLDCOVER

Best of luck,

1 Like

Hi @dave
Many thanks for your responses and help.

I just tried to download the ESA data through the link you provided, and I discovered it’s the same data that I downloaded and used. I queried the data using ArcMap 10.7.1 to get the different habitats I used as my habitat in the study area.

What could I have missed?

Hmm, I’m not sure which data access method you used. In the “Data Download” section of the page I linked, I used option #1 and downloaded a tile using the webmap interface. I ended up with a geotiff. Their documentation indicates the data is distributed in geotiff format.

I think I did same. I downloaded the tile for my study area, or did I do it wrong?

Okay, great, when you unzip the file do you find a geotiff with a name like ESA_WorldCover_10m_2021_v200_N03E003_Map.tif?

If so, that’s all you need. Perhaps the steps you did after that in ArcMap generated the shapefile? Instead of creating a shapefile, you will need to reclassify the ESA geotiff (using a GIS “reclassify” tool, perhaps more than once). Create one individual raster for each habitat. For example, if you want a mangrove layer, reclassify all the LULC codes representing other landcover types to 0 or a Nodata value.

ESA_WorldCover_10m_2020_v100_N03E006_InputQuali…
ESA_WorldCover_10m_2020_v100_N03E006_Map.tif

I looked at the tile again, and the geotiff has a name like this "ESA_WorldCover_10m_2021_v200_N03E003_Map.tif`.

I attached the geotiff via an email sent to natural capital project notification email, so you could have a look and tell me what I am not doing right, please.

This geotiff looks exactly right to me. So the next step is:

Okay.
I will do this and give you feedback. Thank you.

Hi @dave
I wasn’t able to do this. Could you please provide guidance on how I can do it. Thank you

Hi @Nomsy,

I found this youtube video which shows reclassification in ArcGIS: Raster Reclassify in ArcGIS Pro - YouTube. That might help as a resource for what you’re trying to do. There are MANY video walkthroughs of reclassifying in ArcGIS, some more helpful than others. Hopefully the one I shared helps!

~ Doug

Hi @dave

Many thanks!

I hope it does too.

Hi @dave

It didn’t work. I got to the point where I reclassified all the LULC layer codes to 0, I made the necessary changes in my habitat folder and the model didn’t run. I tried to reclassify the layer codes to 0 and 1, still reclassifying now. Will come back with update on this later.

Yesterday, I also downloaded a mangrove geotiff online and it still didn’t run. This is log file below.

InVEST-Coastal-Vulnerability-log-2023-02-23–18_56_13.txt (5.3 KB)

Hi @Nomsy , I do think you are making progress.

If all the pixels end up as 0 after reclassifying, then that is telling the model that no habitat exists anywhere.

This is correct.

The error in the log indicates a problem with the information in the habitats CSV file. Your CSV is referencing a file that does not exist:
C:/Users/User/Desktop/All documents and folders/SampleData_CVModel/Habitats_RS\E10N10.shp

If you have a mangrove geotiff, then I would expect its filename to end in .tif not .shp

But “this progress” isn’t giving me results yet.

Hi @dave !!!

You won’t believe what just happened???

I changed the .shp to .tiff for the mangrove data I downloaded the other day and it ran in a minute and I HAVE THE RESULT!!!

Thank you so much for being patience with me, thank you!

2 Likes

coastal_exposure_tif.csv (71.6 KB)
InVEST-Coastal-Vulnerability-log-2023-02-25–10_23_38.txt (13.6 KB)
intermediate_exposure_tif.csv (48.3 KB)

These are the results. Please, I need your help to interpret these results.

Hi @Nomsy , I’m glad you achieved a successful run!

I’m afraid it’s beyond our capacity to interpret the results for you. There is a section of the User Guide that describes the output files: Coastal Vulnerability Model — InVEST documentation

If you have further questions about the results, please consider starting a “New Topic” and please be as specific as possible about your questions, including describing what you have tried so far.

thank you,

2 Likes

Hi @dave,

Thank you.

I will go through the documentation.

Chinomnso C. Onwubiko
PhD Candidate, World Bank Africa Centre of Excellence in Coastal Resilience(ACECoR)
+2347061162130

A post was split to a new topic: How to interpret results of Coastal Vulnerability model