Flooding modeling using Coastal Vulnerability model

Hello everyone!

I want to use InVEST coastal vulnerability model for my graduate thesis, however, I need to model small-scale flooding, I wonder if InVEST output could be used as a tool to determine flooding levels? I would really appreciate any advice on this.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the question. As stated in the User Guide, “The InVEST Coastal Vulnerability model produces a qualitative estimate of such exposure in terms of a vulnerability index, which differentiates areas with relatively high or low exposure to erosion and inundation during storms. By coupling these results with global population information, the model can show areas along a given coastline where humans are most vulnerable to storm waves and surge. The model does not take into account coastal processes that are unique to a region, nor does it predict long- or short-term changes in shoreline position or configuration.” So, the model will not return measures of absolute flooding levels, but instead provides a spatially-explicit relative index of vulnerability.

If that analysis is of interest to you, the coastal vulnerability model would be appropriate to use. The spatial resolution of all InVEST models is flexible, allowing users to address questions at local, regional, or global scales.

I hope that I’ve been helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions.

Be well,
Jesse

2 Likes