Honduras Data SWY

Hello, Here in TNC we are going to run Seasonal Water Yield SWY in Honduras. I would like to know if anyone of you can give me any suggestion on data sources particularly about climate, soils and high resolution dem. Thank so much in advance.

Hi! I am running Seasonal Water Yield now,and here are some suggestion for you.
(1) Climate zone: You can divided the study region by building Tyson polygon in terms of the meteorological stations in arcGIS. Ensure that each polygon only has one meteorological station, which represents one type of climate zone. Each climate zone will be assigned an integer code.
(2) Soil group: You can download the data at HYSOGs250m, global gridded hydrologic soil groups for curve-number-based runoff modeling | Scientific Data. This global dataset classified the soil group in 8 types (we only need 4 types), but the author pointed that ā€œEnd-users who are not interested in dual HSGs may simply re-classify HSGs A/D, B/D, C/D, and D/D to HSG-D.ā€
(3) DEM: I think its better to get this from local researchers who may have the higher resolution and higher quality DEM.

Jiangxuan~

5 Likes

Hello, I would like to know how to get the rain events data, I found that the IWMI website in the sample data is under maintenance recently, is there any other way to get the rain events, thank you very much.

1 Like

@YIYI,
I would try the IWMI website again in a few days.

1 Like

Iā€™ve had this issue too and have had to seek out local sources for these data instead because that IWMI water data portal has been ā€œdown for maintenanceā€ for almost a year at least. I doubt a few more days will change anything. @esoth I think we should consider removing that link from the UG.

@YIYI see if you can find data from weather stations located in your study area. If not, and you have no other source of local knowledge, a website like this one may be your best bet. You could use ā€œaverage monthly rainy daysā€ as a proxy for monthly rain events. Itā€™s not ideal, but I believe itā€™s justifiable.

-Jesse

2 Likes

HIļ¼Œ@esoth ļ¼Thanks for your reply, I will continue to follow the IWMI website.

@jesseG
Hi,Jesse
Thank you very much for your reply, it helped me a lot, I plan to use data from weather stations.

2 Likes