InVest program - Crop Production and Climate Change

Hello,
I am Hayk Igityan from National Academy of Sciences of the RA. I want to use InVEST program. I need to find 2050-2100 climate change impact on crop. Is it possible to solve this issue with InVEST crop Percentile or Regression models?

Great question. As far as I know, the crop production models now rely on crop maps known as the “Manfreda dataset” (1), which represent the (potential?) crop distributions at a static point in time. To model the impacts of climate change, one would need updated crop distribution maps, as well as landcover maps representing possible landcover in 2050 or 2100.

@jandrewjohnson do I have this somewhat correct?

1. “Farming the planet: 2. Geographic distribution of crop areas, yields, physiological types, and net primary production in the year 2000.”” C. Monfreda N. Ramankutty, J. Foley. Biogeochemical Cycles, Vol.22, GB1022, doi:10.1029/2007GB002947. 2008)

A similar question here. If I understand correctly, the current regression model is rely on climate bin in 2000. Could I update the climate data under “InVEST_3.7.0_x86\CropProduction\model_data”, and then model the crop production in different years, for example, 2005, 2010, 2015.

also, I did not find any detailed information on how this model work. Does it follow exact the same methods in “Closing yield gaps through nutrient and water management”?

I notice there are several datasets under “InVEST_3.7.0_x86\CropProduction\model_data”, but not sure which are input the model. for example, there are two similar data: "extended_climate_bin_maps“, ”climate_bin_maps“, which is the input for the regression model? @dave

btw, do you find a way for your qs? @hayk

Hi @yingjie, sorry for the delay. It appears that the Crop Production models are only using the “extended_climate_bin_maps”, not the “climate_bin_maps”. But this is not simply climate data, rather I believe these data are the product of the methods in Monfreda paper referenced above.

I think the best reference for how this model works is probably the User’s Guide, if you haven’t already read it. http://releases.naturalcapitalproject.org/invest-userguide/latest/crop_production.html

1 Like