Missing reference

Hi, the user manual for the urban flooding model mentions Balbi et al (2017) but does not quote it in full.
Is it possible to know it so as to retrieve it?

Thank you

Thanks for letting us know about this! After a bit of digging, the original citation for Balbi et al (2017) provided by the model’s authors (which will be added to the user’s guide shortly) is:

Balbi, M., Lallemant, D., & Hamel, P. (2017). A flood risk framework for ecosystem services valuation: a proof-of-concept.

As far as I can tell, this looks like it may have been a poster at a 2018 EGU meeting (https://www.meetmatt-svr3.net/nathazards/m2/abstract.asp?absId=305). Here’s the abstract from that webpage:

NH-A305 (Poster)
PM3 16:00-17:10 2/7/2018, Ballroom 1

A Flood Risk Framework for Ecosystem Services Valuation: A Case Study in the Mekong River Basin

Mariano BALBI1#+, David LALLEMANT2, Jack BAKER3, Perrine HAMEL3
1University of Buenos Aires, Argentina , 2Nanyang Technological University, Singapore , 3Stanford University, United States
#Corresponding author: balbi.mariano@gmail.com +Presenter

Among the many natural hazards that can cause a severe disruption in urban settlements, flooding is the most frequent and costly worldwide. Flood risk is expected to further increase in time, primarily due to the increasing concentration of assets in urban settlements and climate change. Therefore, understanding how risk is generated and mitigated during floods becomes a critical task.

In the last decade, there has been an increasing interest in determining the role of natural ecosystems in mitigating the impact of floods, driven by the cost of traditional control structures, and more importantly, the consequences of their failure. Most existing models oversimplify either the flood extent assessment, in particular, its change under climate or land use change, or the impact assessment on communities.

We provide a brief overview of urban flood risk analysis, focusing on the modeling challenges that each step in the analysis involves, particularly in the damage (or vulnerability) models. We use a deterministic depth versus damage model to estimate the direct economic losses to structure and contents for a case study in the Mekong River Basin, and couple this analysis with a simple hydrological methodology to create two different hazard scenarios. This case study illustrates how to quantify the monetary value of the flood risk mitigation service provide by natural ecosystems.

As part of the project, a standalone software tool was developed to implement this methodology for a rapid assessment of economic damages in a flood scenario. This is done with the objective of coupling it with the InVest platform developed and maintained by The Natural Capital Project, and extensively use with its partners and model users’ community.

I’ll reach out to the model’s authors to see if we can obtain a digital version of the poster, or if the methods are described in another publication and let you know what I learn.

James

2 Likes

I suspect it is this report.

1 Like

Thanks @rmgriffin ! Would you happen to know if this report is published somewhere public so I can add it to the User’s Guide?

1 Like

Sorry James, I did a search earlier and couldn’t find it. @Perrine sent it to me, so she’d be the best contact to sort out public dissemination questions. I uploaded a copy for @antobaro to my google drive assuming the request was timely. I’ll delete the link soon.

1 Like

@rmgriffin can you send me the google drive link?
Thanks to all!

It is hyperlinked 4 posts above

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.