SDR model temporal change analysis

In order to reflect the temporal change of soil erosion, the input data should be temporally change.

Among the input data types, the landuse data is a temporal-change data, so as the rainfall erosivity index (R), but the soil erodibility (K) is not change with time, I was wondering if the watersheds raster should also be change with time, or other input data should be change with time.

Thanks for answering!

Hi @frank,
Watersheds generally do not change in the timescale of interest for analysis. Watershed vectors are usually derived from elevation and stream data, which change very slowly. An exception could be if there is a sudden change, such as a large man-made reservoir being built. But generally the watershed data is kept constant across your analysis.
The science team might have more thoughts about temporal analysis with SDR, @adrianvogl @swolny ?

Appreciate your reply!

You mean that I just need to change the landuse and rainfall data to do temporal analysis, right?

Well, it depends on what your goal is. Comparing the model results given two different land use maps is probably the most common analysis. The land use maps could be from two different points in time, or one real and one hypothetical (such as after a proposed management plan is introduced).

This page says that rainfall erosivity is calculated by averaging data over several years, so if your timescale is just a few years, there might be no point in running the model with different erosivity rasters. It’s hard to say without knowing more about what you’re trying to achieve.

2 Likes

Thanks, I think I know how to continue my study

1 Like

Hi @frank. Like @esoth said, we typically create scenarios based on possible land cover/land management change over time, assuming that climate, soils and topography remain the same. If our analysis involves considering climate change, then we do create a new rainfall erosivity map from the future climate data. If you are looking at changes from past to present, then it may also be important to create multiple erosivity maps, such that the time period represented by the erosivity map overlaps with the time period represented by the land use/land cover map.

~ Stacie

1 Like

Your answer inlight me a lot, thanks !

This topic was automatically closed after 23 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.