Urban Cooling Model_rural application

Hi, I’m wondering if there’s any issue with using the Urban Cooling Model in a rural setting.
We’d like to quantify the welfare benefits to livestock of tree planting.
As well as shade, there will be a cooling effect from increased evapotranspiration and induced cooling breeze (the so-called ‘vegetation breeze’ phenomenon from cool, humid air under clusters of trees.
I don’t see any limitations listed relating to using this tool outside of urban areas.
Cheers
Richard

Hi @Minton71 ,

Thank you for writing in with your question!

As far as I can tell, InVEST’s Urban Cooling model is suitable for the clever application you’ve described in a rural setting. Please just be aware of the resolution of your input data to ensure the scale is fine enough to capture individual clusters of trees as opposed to only entire forest patches. However, I don’t believe the model explicitly deals with the ‘vegetative breeze’ phenomenon caused by differential heating and humidity in naturally shaded versus unshaded areas, so you may need to parameterize carefully to try to incorporate that effect. The model will also consider the cooling or heating impacts caused by changes in albedo associated with changes in land cover (trees versus pasture).

Perhaps @chris could provide more clarity.

We’d be curious to hear back from you later about how successful (or not) your modeling goes for this using InVEST!

-Jesse

1 Like