Coastal Vulnerability - ERROR Something went wrong when adding task interpolate wwiii to shore points

When running the coastal model using the global wind_wave layer provided by the model sample I get ERROR Something went wrong when adding task interpolate wwiii to shore points
InVEST-natcap.invest.coastal_vulnerability-log-2023-11-07–18_39_39.txt (6.0 KB)
Any idea why this happens? thanks

Hello @Edo and welcome to the forum!

Offhand, it’s a little difficult to say what’s going on here. I see that you’re using InVEST version 3.13.0, though … could you try running your same inputs on our latest release of InVEST, version 3.14.0, and see if that works?

Here’s the download link: https://storage.googleapis.com/releases.naturalcapitalproject.org/invest/3.14.0/workbench/invest_3.14.0_workbench_win32_x64.exe

Thanks,
James

Hi James, I downloaded and used the new version, but I got the same error. I found the same issue discussed in this thread Error in Coastal Vulnerability Model - can't interpolate wwiii to shore points. I am analyzing the county of Lamu in Kenya. I used the data provided by the Allen Coral atlas portal and followed this guide https://cdn.cosmicjs.com/6e8b1460-720a-11eb-87a2-9be5e90cdf74-Coastal-Vulnerability-Tutorial.pdf , along with the main one. However, it seems the issue comes up before using these data. For the wave I am using the global layer as indicated in the guidelines, the same used in the tutorial (that I ran, and it worked). I tried different projections WGS 1984 UTM 37S and Mollweide. I tried different AOI and landmass combinations. Following the thread on the same topic, I measured the distance between the shore points created in the intermediate folder and the wave points and it was shorter than 200km. I don’t know what the problem is. I also attached a screenshot of the intermediate data with the landmass the AOI in the red stroke and the wind/wave points, the bathymetry is the GEBCO global model one as used in the tutorial. For the landmass,

I used the national GADM data for Kenya as suggested in the user guide. I have also tried with way smaller AOI, and different fetch distances, but it did not work, I always get the same error. Any clue? Could I try to send you a folder with the data I used? thank you so much for your time.

Hi @Edo , I’ve debugged these issues in the past. I don’t mind trying to reproduce it if you would like to share your datastack.

1 Like

Hi Dave thanks for the availability, I worked on the model yesterday all the day long, and I managed to run it once, however, I have some doubts about the result’s reliability. I discovered the problem was related to reprojecting the wave layer, and that was causing the model to crash, the same for the bathymetry. Then the problem was related to the coastal forest layer that was causing troubles so I simplified the polygon and it worked. In the log, it seemed the model struggled to find actual data on the wave and wind speed. I prepared the datastack file and the data folder I used in case you have time to look at it. Just there is the CSV table of habitats that you will find with a different name compared to the one I used in the model originally, but it is the same. Thank you very much in advance here is the wetransfer link: WeTransfer - Send Large Files & Share Photos Online - Up to 2GB Free

Hi @Edo , I’m glad you were able to solve some of those other GIS problems.

This other thread has some discussion about the meaning of the Wind Velocity warnings, and suggestions about which other intermediate files to investigate to see if these are actually problematic. Wind velocity warning + SLR + projections

I looked at the WW3 data near your AOI, here is the table for the nearest points:

You can see many REI_V* columns with all 0s. These are wind velocities from each cardinal direction around the WW3 point. In this case, velocities from the Northwest are 0. Do you think that makes sense for your study area?

As the warning messages describe, a value of 1 m/s is used, instead of 0, to calculate wave heights for these directions. So there will be relatively little wave energy, from local wind-driven waves, from these directions. Most likely, the areas of the AOI raising these warnings are the offshore barrier islands that have some amount of water to their Northwest, meaning there is some opportunity for wind-driven waves to form from that direction.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.