Errors and very long period of running urban cooling model

What is the issue or question you have?

Hello, I am trying to run urban cooling model to make different scenarios fof lulc map and study the effect on air temperature for every layer in the map, and study and compare the results of energy building consumption, I am working on street scale around (1000 m * 250 m) is my AOI, the first problem is that the run period is soooo long which was taken days , the second problem is that after 36 hours of running it gave me the following error “Something went wrong when adding task calculate T air (10), terminating taskgraph” and sometimes T air (4).
the cooling distance I want is 600 m but it makes the running more slow so I tried to input less values, and also I am not sure about air blending distance input I tried 600 m and 500m as a default and tried different values 100,200,1000,2000 but every time I got that error after many hours.
is there a relationship between thoso two parameters?

Attach the logfile here:

please find out my data, note: this data what I used for the mentioned error above but the blending air distance was 500 m and cooling distance was 100 m.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1LqxLCq3UdbvPy7RhCzat4lEo2WsfB01E?usp=drive_link
the data and parameters as they are in the drive link are still under running since 3 days ago and up to now the run is 38%
regards

Please attach your actual log file, not a screenshot. You can find the log file in the workspace folder.

please find out the log file of the error
InVEST-natcap.invest.urban_cooling_model-log-2023-11-22–12_36_05.txt (4.1 MB)
in this run air blending parameters was 500m and cooling distance was 100m

also I want to inform you that I have just got a complete run with the same shared data but air belending distance is 200m and cooling distance is 50m and the run lasted for more than 4 days is this normal?
note: I want cooling distance to be 500m or 600m but I have no idea about air blending parameters.

thanks alot for your efforts and responses

It can be normal for the model to run for many hours or days depending on the size of your data and the processing power of your computer. To speed it up, you can try increasing the Taskgraph n_workers parameter in the settings menu. However, your data does not look that complex, so I am surprised it is taking so long.

The error you are seeing is due to an underlying process timing out. I will try to reproduce the issue and identify the cause of the slowdown.

thanks for your help, I tried to speed up as you suggested and I input 500m for air blending distance and 500m for cooling distance then I click on run, since around 12 hours the run did not move any step and still I am seeing the same on the run screen which is the following

looking forward to hear from you

regards

I did the run again for 500m for air blending distance and 500m for cooling distance with the default setting of Taskgraph n_workers parameter and got an error , here is the log file
InVEST-natcap.invest.urban_cooling_model-log-2023-11-30–07_29_53.txt (6.5 KB)

Now I am trying with different Taskgraph n_workers parameter and it is very slow but I AM WAiting to see if I will got an error or not
regards

Hi, I am still trying with different values this time 200m for air blending distance and 500m for cooling distance I got the following error
InVEST-natcap.invest.-200-500.txt (758.3 KB)
Note: up to now I only got complete run with air belending distance is 200m and cooling distance is 50m
all your helps are appreciated

Hello @Shammoudeh,

I think the root problem here is the resolution of your input rasters. You’re modeling a pretty small area and with pixels that cover just 77 square centimeters each (7cm x 11cm)! There is little to gain by running this model at that fine of a scale … InVEST models in general are designed for landscape-level decisions, and there’s no fancy airflow modeling or anything like that that would really benefit from such a fine scale of input data. So, I would strongly recommend resampling your rasters to a larger pixel size and re-running the model.

If you do eventually want to run at this specific resolution for some reason, it’s still useful to run the model at a coarser resolution first to make sure that your outputs look reasonable and that the model actually completes, and then you can try running the model at a finer resolution.

Let us know how this goes!
James

thanks for your help,

I Modified the lulc raster pixel to 2 m * 2 m, then it was completed in 1 minute
now I have another question
in my lulc map I have 7 categories so I expect to see differences between them in the output rasters (eg: hm raster, cc raster), but what I saw is only two different values and two colors.
you can find my result in the following link
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1FqOWicBO-W9ocxxYYBSlpo1pWTB10QzW?usp=sharing

regards

Have a look at the user’s guide chapter for this, which will step you through all of the equations (link here: Urban Cooling Model — InVEST® documentation). Assuming you’re looking or more information about the hm.tif output, , I’d especially suggest looking at equations 107, 108, 109 and 110. Could you let us know if you have any questions after that?

Thanks,
James

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.