GLOBIO unexpected output

Hi @cparrapa,

After you type .\invest.exe --debug run globio into the cmd.exe window and press enter, some debugging information should be printed in the cmd.exe window. It should look something like this:

C:\Users\cpn770> cd C:\InVEST_3.8.7_x86\invest-3-x86
C:\Users\cpn770\InVEST_3.8.7_x86\invest-3-x86> .\invest.exe --debug run globio
<there should be debugging info here>

If nothing at all appears on the new line after you press enter, that would mean that the program is hanging before any logging info is printed. If instead a new prompt (the C:\Users...> part) appears on the new line, like this:

C:\Users\cpn770> cd C:\InVEST_3.8.7_x86\invest-3-x86
C:\Users\cpn770\InVEST_3.8.7_x86\invest-3-x86> .\invest.exe --debug run globio
C:\Users\cpn770\InVEST_3.8.7_x86\invest-3-x86> 

that would mean the program is exiting. Could you please tell me which it is?

You’re right that trying on another computer would probably be a faster solution. We would like to keep investigating this issue so we can fix any bugs and keep it from happening in the future, but if you’re in a hurry, I would recommend trying it on another computer as well.

Hi @esoth

After I type the debug command nothing appears at all. I attach a screenshot of what is shown, absolutely nothing.

I tried in to run the model in another computer and it worked. However this is not a long term and comfortable solution. Finally, after I run globio in the 3.8.7 version I still got issues with the MSAinfrastructure output, and as a consequence with the overall MSA output. Errors are related to 1) in MSAi there are wrong values in the upper left corner of the map (all set to 1 without reason), and 2) in MSAi all values >14000m are set up to 0 instead of 1 as indicated in the csv file. I sent an email to @jdouglass about this, perhaps you could help as well?

Thanks a lot,

Claudia

Hi @cparrapa,

One more thing we can try is running the model without the graphic interface, in case the problem is happening with the GUI. To do this you will need to create a datastack (a compressed folder that contains all the input data files and parameters that you would normally enter into the interface).

1. Open the GLOBIO model interface on the other computer, and fill in all your input files and parameters as if you were going to run it again.
  2. Go to the File menu and click on Save as… This should open a window labeled Datastack options.
  3. In the Datastack type dropdown menu, select ‘Data archive’
  4. Select where to save the datastack, then click ‘Save datastack’. This will save all the input files and parameters into a compressed datastack file.
  5. Copy the datastack file (should be a .zip or .tar.gz) over to your computer by email or however is easy. Make note of the path on your computer where you save the datastack file. This could be something like C:\Users\cpn770\Downloads\globio_datastack.invest.zip
  6. Open cmd.exe on your computer and type cd C:\InVEST_3.8.7_x86\invest-3-x86 as before.
  7. Type .\invest.exe --debug run --headless --datastack YOUR_DATASTACK_PATH --workspace C:\Users\cpn770\globio_workspace globio, filling in the path to the datastack file from step 5.

This should bypass any issues having to do with the graphic interface or with the location of your input data. If there are still errors in the output, we might be able to fix that specific issue and send you the updated InVEST binary with that bug fixed so you wouldn’t have to wait for version 3.9 to be released. Let me know how that goes, and thanks for helping us to improve InVEST!

Hi @cparrapa,

I thought I’d jump in with an update on the bug fixes for this model, not related to the current issues of the model hanging and not running at all.

There is still a convolution bug that has not been fixed in the latest release of InVEST but that is coming in the InVEST 3.9 release. Please see my comment above from May 27th. If you wanted to share your data I would be happy to test it against a fix we have in place to see if that is indeed the issue you are running into. If so I could also try to create a development version of InVEST for you to run locally. Let me know!

Best,

Doug

Hi @cparrapa thanks a ton for your patience with this and for helping us find the issue here … I don’t yet know what’s going on and this is truly bizarre.

In the short term, if InVEST 3.8.6 works for you on your own computer, I’d suggest just using that for now! InVEST 3.8.7 did introduce one minor fix to GLOBIO, but we should be able to work around it if needed.

In the longer term, this is very, very strange that the model is just hanging, and that there’s no output on the console at all, even with the --debug flag. I’d expect lots of logging to show up with --debug.

Just guessing here, but do you have any antivirus software other than Windows Defender running?

Oh! Another guess: in your screenshot, it almost looks like cmd.exe is running in administrator mode … is that the case? It shouldn’t be a problem to run as admin, but just in case could you try running cmd.exe in normal mode?

I see your email and will take a look soon about those errors.