Question about rkls outputs

Dear NatCap team,
I’m confused about the rkls output raster. I read the userguide and it describes the rkls as “Equivalent to the soil loss for bare soil”. But when I use landuse rasters of the same region but different time, which means that the total area is constant and the landuse types are changeable, I got different value of rkls output. In my mind, “Equivalent to the soil loss for bare soil” means rkls of every pixel is equal to the soil loss for bare soil, and the rkls is independent of the landuse type. In this way, when I input the same area of landuse, I would get the same rkls outputs. So how am I suposed to understand rkls output?
kind regards.

1 Like

Hi @frank,
Based on how RKLS is calculated in the model I would expect it to be the same regardless of what LULC raster you use. Could you please share your complete set of input data, including both LULC rasters, that are producing different RKLS? You can upload the files here, or post a link to a google drive folder, or email them to me privately if you prefer: esoth@stanford.edu

Thanks a lot. I have emailed you with input data.

@frank,
As you suggested in the email, the difference in RKLS was because your rainfall erosivity inputs changed. If you only change the land use input, the RKLS output will be constant.

1 Like

Hi, @esoth .
Thank you very much for the problem, I think I will use the different rainfall erosivity because it reflects more realistic situation of the area.
I was wondering if it’s okay to calculate total retention as “rkls - usle + sed_deposition”, I read some references and this is how they represent total retention.
Best regards,
Frank