Fisheries model not reaching equlibrium (updated question)

Hello, NatCaps,
could you help me please with some guidance?
I have tried to run Fisheries model with parameters based in fish collections of a single species (and extrapolated sample information for representing the population of the AOI), but even with the model running successfully, the model does not reach equilibrium state.
Could you get a look at the log file and see if something is weird, please? Here goes it, with the results table.

Many thanks,

.results_table_t5.csv (16.7 KB)

InVEST-Fisheries-log-2019-06-10–16_46_02.txt (4.5 KB)

Hello, thanks for posting.

I’m not a fisheries scientist, but looking at your results makes me think the model did equilibrate at 0 harvest and 0 spawners, but the convenience formula that yields the “Y” or “N” in the “Equilibrated?” column does not work properly when all values are 0 (note the divide by zero warning in the logfile).

Hope that’s helpful to you.

Many thanks, Dave! At least you are a Fisher, hehehe

Yes, your note makes sense, but anyway this routing of the model to 0 harvest and spawners is that intrigues me the most.
I’m wondering if my initial recruits parameter can be underestimated, as most of the recruits are not catched by the fishnets at the samples. Thinking about to make some sensibility tests increasing this value.

Thanks again

1 Like

By the way, dear NatCap Fisheries expert,
I can share my inputs, for you to have a whole picture about my issue. Just give me an email adress and I will do it.

thanks, all the best,

I don’t know anything about the Fisheries model, but just wanted to say hi, João! Nice to see you pop up here.

~ Stacie

Hi, Stacie! Nice to hear from you! Still with InVESTalways learning something new! Cheers, J


I’d like to ask you again, please, for some guidance on the Fisheries model. The good news is that I have managed to run the model for the baseline scenario, just changing “weight” by “individuals” for the spawner parameter in Beverton-Holt recruitment function.
Tha bad news is that I couldn’t manage to generate a new stock forecast by bringing habitat changes to the model through the Fisheries Habitat Scenario tool. The tool runs perfectly but the new population parameters are equal to the baseline scenario (as the model hasn’t created a new population parameter table).
Could you give me some clue about that, please? I can send the input and the parameter data if you give me a recipient email.

Many thanks,
João Guimarães

@Jess_Silver I wonder if you have any insights here? James may have some input as well, though he is on vacation until the end of the week.

Hi Joao -

For what species are you trying to run the model? Are you building a new model for a new location or are you just trying to get it to run with one of our sample datasets? A little more information about your model setup would be helpful.

Thank you,


Hello, Jess,
thanks to ask, I’m building the model for a specific species (Stellifer rastrifer) in a specific location (Espirito Santo state coast, Brazil).
I have made a test with sample dataset as well, and the model has created a new population parameter table; but when I use my own input data in the scenario tool (inserting dependency and area change param. tables as well), no change occurs in the new population param. file.


Hi Joao,

Maybe the easiest thing would be if you could send me the inputs and outputs from the habitat scenario tool and the logfile from your model run. You can email me directly at



Hello, Jess,
many thanks, I will do it very soon.

all the best,