Python 3 Migration?

Hello,

I was wondering if there are any plans for porting InVEST to Python 3. With all the dependencies it is clear to me that this is nontrivial.

I’m interested in this because there are other libraries I want to use with InVEST, but they are Python 3 only. I have a work around for this now, but I am still curious.

Thank you,
Martin

4 Likes

Hey Martin,

Great to hear from you, and thanks for posting on the new forums! Yes, we are in the process of migrating natcap.invest to python 3.6+ as well as making a couple of other behind-the-scenes updates to each of the models. I’d guesstimate that our first python3-compatible release will be out in May or June, 2019.

More soon!
James

1 Like

Hey James,

That’s great news! I look forward to the Python 3 version of InVEST and making use of these shiny new forums.

Thank you,
Martin

4 Likes

Hi James,

I just wanted to check back in about progress in the migration to Python 3. How are things coming along? Is the transition complete?

Best regards,
Martin

Hey Martin,

Yes, the transition is complete! We just haven’t made an official release of the python3-only InVEST just yet … we’ll have a new release once we finish a couple of remaining issues. In the meantime, pip-installing off of the develop branch of https://bitbucket.org/natcap/invest will get you a python3-only (3.6, 3.7) install of InVEST.

James

Congratulations! That’s quite a milestone and very useful for me. Thanks for the hard work!

2 Likes