Wind energy production:"ValueError: could not convert string to float: ''

What is the issue or question you have?

Hi there, i have met a problem or error that is described as "ValueError: could not convert string to float: ‘’

What do you expect to happen?

I hope you can help me to solve this problem.

What have you tried so far?

I am trying to running this wind energy model.The all input data is from the sample data. But i can’t find the bathymetry data in the sample data profile.So i download bathymetry data from GEBCO datasets.So except for the bathymetry data, which is not from sample data, the rest is all from sample data. When I put these datasets into the model run, there was a error:"ValueError: could not convert string to float: "

Attach the logfile here:

InVEST-natcap.invest.wind_energy-log-2023-11-23–23_17_02.txt (2.8 KB)

Hi @JasonLee,
I’m sure one of our software team will be able to help you out with your specific problem if you’d like to continue to use the gebco data. The sample data for the bathymetry is “global_dem.tif” in the base data folder from the sample data downloads - i.e. in this zip file here.

Regards,
Rob

1 Like

Thank you so much, i am going to use this data to run.

Hi there, I just used the dem data you gave and the other sample data, but I still get the same error. Here is the data I used

, and I would appreciate it if you could help me with this.
InVEST-natcap.invest.wind_energy-log-2023-11-25–14_18_11.txt (4.4 KB)

One issue I see in your log is that you are missing or incorrectly have entered several variables.

“global_wind_energy_parameters.csv.gz” should be "“global_wind_energy_parameters.csv”

You are also missing “Land Polygon” (you can find this in the base_data folder too, named “global_polygon.shp”), Minimum Distance (m), and Maximum Distance (m). In older versions of the model, you could get away without entering these latter two variables (for example, version 3.10), but version 3.14 expects these. Once these are all addressed, you should be able to complete the model run.

1 Like

Thank you a lot. i have run this model with the sample data. it seems like that i haven’t input this land polygon data.Now i try to use my own data to run this model. thank you again.Have a nice day!!!

1 Like

Hi there,i find the file called parameters of turbine that has a new parameter, i can’t find it meaning in the guide.Could you please help me?what is the parameter of “turbines_per_circuit”
屏幕截图 2023-11-27 155854

That is used to derive how much infield cable (between turbines) is used as part of the cost estimates. The model assumes a rectangular layout. It isn’t really designed to investigate wake losses from alternate layouts, if that is a research question you have.

Source Grid optimization for offshore wind farm layout and substation location | IEEE Conference Publication | IEEE Xplore

1 Like

thank you very much sir, I have got it.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.