Carbon Sequestration after 30 years

Hello everyone,

I’m using two LULC maps of a predefined area. One should represent the landscape as of 2020 and the second one as of 2050. If I use the same LULC (which means that the landscape will not change in 30 years), the output delta_cur_fut_[Suffix].tif / delta_cur_redd_[Suffix].tif shows 0 values.

Maybe I’m missing something, but I wonder if it’s possible to model the total carbon sequestration that occurs during this period, and if so, what I’m doing wrong.

Thank you!
Marco

Hi Marco, you’ve just discovered the limitation of the software, I’m afraid. It doesn’t really model any of the dynamics of the carbon cycle. This section of the User’s Guide explains it better than I can, including a possible way to represent changes in carbon storage by using different classes in the LULC. Carbon Storage and Sequestration — InVEST documentation

Hi @dave thank you for your reply,

so my next question is: why InVEST asks me to inster the current and future landcover calendar year?

Thank you!

Marco

It looks like the years are only used in the Valuation component of the model. I agree that is not well-indicated by the user-interface. The “Data Needs” section of the User’s Guide explains how the years are used. Carbon Storage and Sequestration — InVEST documentation

1 Like